Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Repairing an Old Chair on the Cheap

I have two of these wicker/rattan (not sure which) chairs that I purchased on one of my very first trips to a consignment shop. I got them for $10.00 each, and we have now been using them for about 12 years, maybe a little longer.  They are on the screened porch year round, and the seat bottom on one of the chairs had weakened and broken through.  At first I thought we would need to throw it away.

The chair itself is still sturdy and they are so comfortable and I really wanted to figure a way to fix it.  That turned out to be much simpler than I had imagined.

1 4x5 dropcloth
Elmers Glue All glue (for metal, wood, fabric)
screwdriver (I used small electric)

There were only two screws to remove to release the form the seat is attached to.

After removing the screws, I lifted out the seat bottom, and laid it on my unfolded dropcloth.

After removing the old material,  I cut around the outside of the form, adding about 2 inches all the way around to allow for folding over and gluing. You don't have to cut perfectly.  The edges of the dropcloth are not going to show once you are through.  You can see staples on the old cover, but the form is metal, so I had to resort to glue to attach the new seat.

Here is the new seat glued to the metal form.

Place the covered form in the chair, replace the two screws, and you are done.

I would estimate this repair at $2.00 or less.  I only used a small portion of the dropcloth, and a small amount of glue.

I'm glad I thought of a way to repair the chair rather than throwing it away.  I think we will get several more years use out of the chairs.

I have plenty of dropcloth for other projects, or for the other chair when it needs repaired.  I am pleased with this simple, inexpensive fix.

Sharing here:
What We Accomplished Wednesday @ Green Willow Pond  
Work It Wednesday's @ The Happy Housie
What's It Wednesday @ Ivy and Elephants
Frugal Friday @ Shabby Nest

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Making a Fall Arrangement Using a Toolbox Tray

I found this old toolbox tray a couple of years ago as we were straightening up the basement.  I sat it with "my" stuff, knowing I could use it.  What better to do than fill it full of Fall flowers, scarecrows and pumpkins?  So I got busy and.....

gathered some supplies from my stash of stuff.

I lined the tray with burlap ribbon and started layering items in.

Now it brightens this cabinet in the breakfast nook.

What fun to think of new uses for old mundane items, like tool trays.

Sharing here:

Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch

Amaze Me Mondays at Dwellings
Make it Pretty Monday @ The Dedicated House

Masterpiece Monday @ Boogieboard Cottage
Show and Share @ Coastal Charm

Tweak It Tuesday @ Cozy Little House

The Scoop @ Cedar Hill Farmhouse

Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life 

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Decorating the Sunroom for Fall

It really feels like fall today, so I focused on the fall decor in the sunroom.  I ran across this arrangement I "re-worked" last year, and placed it on the table.  It is filled with red and orange roses.  The green container looks good next to the green ceramic pumpkin from Tuesday Morning.

An antique table holds a wire cloche with fall items.  The table is covered with a vintage embroidered tea cloth.

I took the arrangement below apart and tried to make it look better, last week.  It also sits in the sunroom.

It  was a thrift find last year and didn't have any of the colorful stems.  I added those last year.

 The burlap wrapped candle holder got a fall bow.

It sits beside the chaise.

So that is the décor in the sunroom.  I have a couple more spots to show you in the next few days.

Sharing here:

 No Minimalist Here for Open House Party
Posed Perfection for Creative Ways
 Katherines Corner for Favorite Things 
 A Delightsome Life for Home and Garden 
 Imparting Grace for Grace at Home
 From My Front Porch To Yours for Treasure Hunt Thursday
Share Your Cup at Jann's

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Simpler Fall Table

After living a couple weeks, with the way the dining room table was done for fall, I decided to lighten it up some.  I had originally layered tablecloths on it using one that was a print with fall fruits.

Over time, the print tablecloth against the print dinnerware was just too busy.  Too much of a good thing.

Everytime I walked past it, I kinda cringed, so I had to change it. With fall décor going through Thanksgiving, I knew I couldn't stand the way it looked.   I removed the top two layers, and left only the dropcloth on. Now it is much more pleasing to the eye. I also changed the setting some by adding the gold charger, soup spoons, and laid the napkin to the side rather than on the plate.  This is the new look.

In my opinion, this is so much better and looks less cluttered, even though the chargers were added.

Yes, much better.

An easy change, made a big difference.

A Bouquet of Talent @ Life on Lakeshore Drive
Sundays at Home @ Thoughts From Alice
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple  
Make it Pretty Monday @ The Dedicated House
Masterpiece Monday @ Boogieboard Cottage 
Show and Share @ Coastal Charm
Tweak It Tuesday @ Cozy Little House
The Scoop @ Cedar Hill Farmhouse
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life