Sunday, December 1, 2013

Christmas Decorating With Old Wooden Boxes

I decorate this old wooden box for every occasion. It used to hold 8-track tapes.  (Bet some of you don't know what that means! )  It currently holds holly and berries, snow flakes, and a small white urn filled with turquoise ornaments.


It sits on the side table in the dining room.


My turquoise frame is leaned on the side table too, and 'frames' my old wooden box.


I love this vignette. 

The old wooden tool trug (below) that I purchased early this year once carried someone's tools, I suppose. It is now decorated in traditional Christmas colors.  I tried decorating it with only turquoise ornaments inside it, and some silver beads and live greenery from the yard, but it was wilting so quickly that I gave up on that.  Then I tried placing snowmen inside the compartments, but nothing looked right.  We decided it needed to be done in red and green.  

BEFORE

I shopped the Christmas bins in the basement, and was able to fill it with traditional red and green.
First I added a swag of mixed pine/spruce, etc.  It fit by just laying it across the compartments built into the trug.  Once I had the greenery in, I  added various picks, berries, and some red roping.

AFTER

The trug sits on the coffee table in the living room.



Even though I am using lots of turquoise in my decorations this Christmas, there are certain places that seem to require the traditional colors, and this trug is one of them.

Do you use old wooden boxes or crates in your holiday decor?  

Joining these fun parties:

Inspired Sunday @ Sunday View
Make it Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
Share It One More Time @ One More Time Events
Met Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
When Junkers Unite @ Organized Clutter Queen
Tuesdays Treasures at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia
Tuesdays at Our Home at Our Home Away From Home
Tweak It Tuesday @ www.cozylittlehouse.com
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life 
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm