Saturday, March 24, 2012

Yard Sale Items Get Makeover

This morning I had a few errands to do, so I stopped in at a yard sale being held to benefit the children of Nicaragua.  It was quite a good sale, and I came away with a few things.

 Basket, $.25, garden tool, $1, and mitre box, $1, so I spent $2.25.


I like the markings on the mitre box and thought about leaving it the way I found it, but my love of white paint got the best of me.

I taped off the markings and sprayed a very light coat of white paint over it -- only one coat.  The wind was blowing, so I didn't really try for complete coverage.  I used a jagged piece of masking tape to cover the markings and like the way it turned out.  Once it dried, I brought it into the basement and sanded it off, and hit it lightly with Annie Sloan Dark Wax.  I like the way it looks on my mantel.


 I switched out the picture I had as a backdrop on the mantel, to this half moon one found last year at a consignment shop.  I placed my little dollar tree birds atop the mitre box, added the bunnies, and white and green orbs which originally were brown, purple and green.
So they got a coat of white paint, then I painted some of the leaves green.
 The garden tool got a light coat of left over turquoise spray paint which was sanded to remove the gloss.  I love the rust on this piece.
I gave it a home in my little box I revamped last Saturday.

 The basket also received a coat of white spray paint and found a new home in the dining room.

 I placed some of the items that were on the side cabinet inside the basket, added the silver dish, and raised one of the candlesticks by using books for a new vignette.

 This silver dish was a gift from my daughter.  I just love it!

 Have you visited any yard sales this Spring?  They're just beginning here.  I plan to have one myself, but it will be a few weeks.

What have you found to change up your decor?  There's nothing like decorating on a dime!

I'll be linking to the following parties: 
Saturday Night Special at Funky Junky Interiors,
Met Monday at Between Naps on the Porch,
Show Off Your Cottage Monday at House in the Roses
Tuesday at Cozy Home Scenes,
Table Top Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life

 White Wednesday at Faded Charm
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday
Strut Your Stuff Thursday at Somewhat Simple
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home 
Vintage Inspiration at Common Ground 
2805 Potpourri Friday at 2805 

Please drop in at these wonderful parties!
Thanks so much for hosting ladies!