Thursday, April 12, 2012

Southern Magnolias

A few posts back I showed you the magnolia print that a co-worker gave me when I retired.  It's a beautiful print, understated, but so elegant.  Today, I decided I would see if I had a frame big enough for the print, so I shopped the basement and found one.  It was a narrow brass colored frame with a matted print in it.  I took everything out of the frame, and painted over the brass color with white interior paint that was left over from an earlier project.  It dried quickly, so I took a small acrylic paint brush, dipped it in pink paint, and painted one of the grooves in the frame. Once that dried, I sanded it in spots, and this is the final look.  I wanted it to look like a really old frame that had gotten painted more than once, and was chippy.  I think it turned out pretty good.  My goal is to find an ornate shabby frame for the print, but I was ready to have this print out so I could enjoy it.

Here is how the frame turned out.


 I flipped the mat over to the white side, and used it to frame the print.  I will also look for a mat with a wider opening, but for now, I'm really enjoying the print.

I have the print standing on a pewter colored easel in my bedroom.  I may paint the easel white, and distress it too.  Haven't decided for sure yet!

Doesn't it look elegant?


The easel was a gift to my husband from his son.

Isn't this a pretty design?


This is what the opposite corner looks like in the master bedroom.
I think I gave $10 for this chair.  It was purchased several years ago from a consignment shop. 




This is the top of the dresser with the drop cloth runner.

Hope you like my gifted.  A pretty addition to my bedroom, at absolutely no cost!  Ahhhhh.......love it when I can do this!

I am linking this project to these parties:

Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Home Sweet Home Friday at The Charm of Home
Saturday Night Special at Funky Junk Interiors
Inspiration Friday At The Picket Fence