Freebie Homemade Sign

You may or may not remember my post about revamping a gun cabinet recently.  The cabinet had these wood slotted boards that fit snugly into it to hold the barrel and stock of the guns for display.  This is what they look like.


Note the two boards leaning against the wall.

I used the widest of the two boards to make a sign for my laundry room.



I decided last week that it was time to do something with the other board, so I took the narrow board to the basement and painted it white (of course).  Finally  yesterday I brought it upstairs to my office to decide what I would put on it.  This is what I came up with.


Cute, huh?

I used my stencil to draw the letters on, then painted with craft paint.  It's actually a bronze color, with a metallic look.  I first painted the letters in a tan color, but I could see where I drew on the letters, so I went over it with the bronze, and like the way it turned out. I didn't sand and distress it, but I did sand over the letters to lighten them some and so it wouldn't look new.  The bird on the left and the label on the right are taped on with two-sided tape.

Guess where I put it?

In the foyer, above the doorway going into the dining room.  It's immediately visible when you come in the front door. 

It isn't even attached to the wall as it sits perfectly on the molding.  







I am really proud of this little project and the zero cost makes it even better.

Now, one other project.  I admit I saw this on someone's blog, but can't remember where.  So here's my version.


I picked up this frame a few weeks ago at a yard sale.  It was very yellowed and the floral appliques were bright gold.  It got a chalk paint update.


I hung this little pitcher inside the frame.  It hangs in the guest bath.

That's part of what I've been up to today.  I also polished the hardwoods, switched some rugs around, moved a little furniture, mopped the kitchen, and  made a huge batch of homemade laundry detergent.  I love that stuff.  It cleans so well, and smells really fresh.  Oh, I read that it only costs one to two cents per load, so I'm all for that!...

What have you done today?

Please join me at these parties:
Wow Us Wednesday
White Wednesday
Share Your Creations 

I'm back with a slight change to the sign.
I was in Michael's today and saw this cute stencil.  I stenciled the design on each end of the sign in aqua.  If you look closely you will see the little bird.



A Simple Dollar Tree Christmas Craft

Here is a simple craft you can do for $4.00 by using items from the Dollar Tree. You will need: 2 Christmas gift bags of your choice, th...