When I saw the compote, I knew what I would do with it. So I mixed up some homemade chalk paint and went to work painting it white.
The paint I used was old, and I had a little trouble getting the consistency I wanted, but I kept slowly adding Plaster of Paris until I got the coverage I needed. I added a couple of coats, and used the hand sander to distress it after it dried.
I went to The Graphics Fairy website and found the graphic I had in mind and printed it off in two different sizes. This morning I transferred the graphic to the compote. I tried using the larger of the two graphics, but had no luck with the first try. I thought maybe I could substitute Goo Gone for CitraSolv.....fail! I then decided to use ModPodge to do the transfer and that worked ok for me.
I think it came out pretty good. It was my first try at transferring a graphic.
Probably won't be my last. :-)
The next order of business was to find a place for it.
For now, it's in my kitchen on the breakfast bar, hanging under these pictures I've had for several years.
Love my thrifty 'new to me' compote!!