Visiting the Old South

My daughter had a conference in Savannah (GA) last week, so she decided to make it a mini-vacation, and invited me to go with her to help take care of Rheagan.  We left on Wednesday afternoon, and came back Sunday.  I hate to say it, but this was my first visit to Savannah.  I loved it!!  


This was my little partner, and we had a blast.  She is so precious!


Mom and Rheagan


We stayed at the Marriott Riverfront.  This building was originally built to house the athletes competing in the rowing events there in the 1996 Olympics which were held in Atlanta (and surrounding areas).



Great hotel!

On Saturday morning, we went on a carriage tour of the Historical section of Savannah!  What a treat!!


Pepper was our horse's name, and our tour guide, Kristen was delightful!

Rheagan is a lover of horses, so she was so excited to go on the tour.

My favorite part of the tour was seeing all the architectural design on the buildings.



The Lady & Sons Restaurant (Paula Deen)
We didn't get to eat here, the waits were three and four hours.



The squares were just beautiful.  There are 22 squares in the city, plus the 2 that are now used by City Hall and another government office.


Isn't this beautiful!!  Notice that balconies were prevalent on the buildings, but there were no doors to walk out on to the balconies, windows only.  The Historical Society has allowed some doors to be placed instead of windows now for balcony access.







I love these pillars.


Isn't this a lovely old pub?? I love the phone booth!!

This building was originally a stable!  Henry Ford bought it and it became a showroom for the Model T.


Isn't this absolutely beautiful??  Window to the balcony again.  :)


I would have loved to tour some of the homes, but had to settle for seeing the outside this time.








More balconies with no doors.





I hope you enjoyed this tour of Savannah.  I really enjoyed my visit there, and hope to go back when I have more time.  I'll share more of Savannah in future posts.

Linking to:
(5/23-2013)

Popular Posts