Monday, July 8, 2013

Old Trunk Repurpose

My husband was a professional truck driver during his working years, hauling hazardous materials.  Most of the time, there were two drivers in each truck.  This allowed the truck to move 24/7.  He did this for nearly 40 years.  One of the drivers who teamed with him years ago, built this rough old box from plywood for them to place between the seats, to hold items they needed, and keep them from being loose in the cab.  We came across the "trunk" a few weeks ago when we were organizing the basement, and I set it aside for a makeover.  I didn't take a before picture, but it was plywood, covered with polyurathene.  



You can see from the inside, how roughly built it is.  


Imagine the outside, looking the same, but with polyurathene.

Well of course it had to have a paint job, so I used some old ceiling flat white that I had on hand as the first coat.


It did a good job of covering.

Yesterday, I decided to put a fabric scrap I also had on hand, inside the box to cover the wood. 


The fabric has been in my stash for a couple years.


I used this stapler to attach the fabric to the wood.


I covered the inside, and the inside of the lid.


I used left over paint to paint the rim, Valspar Blue Spruce (sample) from Lowe's.
I painted the latch with a copper colored acrylic paint.
I attempted to place a graphic on the front, but it didn't turn out well, so I nixed that.


I stenciled a fleur de lis on the top, using the same blue spruce paint sample.

When through, I sanded it to distress it a little.






Right now, it is in my office holding paper, and printing supplies.
(notice the latch is off-center)

It will probably move around a bit before I settle on what it's used for.


I love taking old things and repurposing them to something useful.  

I'll be sharing with:

Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch

Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping It Simple  
Make it Pretty Monday @ The Dedicated House
Before & After Party @ Thrifty Decor Chick
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life
Tweak It Tuesday @ Cozy Little House
The Scoop @ Confessions of a Plate Addict


Thanks so much for hosting, ladies!!

Be sure to go by and see the makeovers!