Mama's Vintage Fabrics

While straightening up my craft closet, I came across some pieces of fabric that I remember my mother having.  She used the white and pink for scarves and runners on dressers, and an old wash stand she had in the dining room. I'm positive the one with blue bows is from a flour sack.  I am one of 7 children, and when we were growing up, my parents would buy 50 pound sacks of flour.  Mama made home made biscuits, usually three times a day, but no less than twice ever! She spent so much time in the kitchen.  It was hard work too!  There was no dishwasher or electrical appliances.  She had a gas stove (finally, in the 60's). Before that I remember a white wood stove that had a 'water well' on one side where you placed water to let it heat.  I remember when we got the gas stove and hot water heater.  Now I'm telling my age for sure.  But memories of my sweet Mama are among my sweetest. She was a gentle soul, God-fearing, devout Christain.  Such an example of a lady, always gracious to everyone.  Anyway, I wanted to show you the 'runners' that dressed up our furniture.



I just love these little bits of fabric.  Look at the dainty flowers.  I love the blue bows on this one.


She had two of these pieces, and they are longer than the one with the blue bows.  I'm wondering if this may not have been from a tablecloth that had worn out, and she salvaged what she could for scarves.  I'm not sure, but I do remember them being starched, and ironed 'just so', and adorning the dressers.


These mimick cross stitch. 

Below is a pillowcase she embroideried.  I only found one.  I'm thinking one of my sisters may have the other one.  This one is stained and yellow, and I was afraid to bleach it.  I might try using lemon juice to see if that will take some of the dark stains off.





My mama would never have put this on a piece of furniture all wrinkled like this, but I just wanted you to see how it looks.




I need to think of a way to display these.  If you have any ideas, please share with me.  


Do you like old fabrics?

Sharing here:

Be Inspired Friday @ Common Ground

Thrifty Things Friday @ The Thrifty Groove

Serenity Saturday @ Serenity You 

Junk Party @ 
Funky Junk Interiors

Show and Tell Saturday @ 
Be Different, Act Normal 

Snippets of Christmas

I've been rather lazy when it comes to my blog recently.  But I found a new tree that I loved at Lowe's on sale, (I bought the last ...