Thrifty Shutter Makeover

I went to the consignment shop initially to get a picture frame that I have been admiring. I've had two pictures fall off the wall recently, breaking the frame on one, and the glass on the other.  I was hoping this frame would work for either of them.  So armed with my measurements and a tape measure, I went in search of the frame.  It was still there, but was too large for one of the pictures, and too small for the other. Both pictures are already matted, so I guess I'll just take both to a frame shop and have them repaired.  I know that will cost more than the $12.99 of the consignment frame.

Since I was there, I decided to look around and see what was new.  I am so glad I did!  I found a pair of small shutters for $9.99. I also found a gorgeous box of drawer liners that I'll show another time, (since I didn't take a photo of it yet). 

These shutters were stained a dark walnut, and were slightly dusty.  I brought them home, brushed the dust off (didn't get a photo of the before) and dry brushed one side with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Louis Blue. 



Aren't they cute?  The other side I painted white.  That way, I can use them however the mood strikes.  I've wanted some of these for a long time, and finally found a set in my price range!!


I was careful to leave some of the dark walnut stain showing through on the blue side.  I wanted them to look as old and worn as they are, but with a little color!  They make a cute summer time fire screen.




I know you will probably get tired of seeing these, 'cause I know I'm going to use them in all kinds of ways!


Here they blend in well with the blue hydrangeas I've used this summer.  I like the rustic look of the shutters with the more formal fireplace surround.  I love mixing styles and textures.


I painted the reverse side with Birchwood White, which is a Valspar paint.  I've used this $3 sample to paint several items.  You can't beat those sample jars at Lowe's.  I painted two coats of the white so it would have a more "finished" appearance.  Of course, I had to see what I could do with them and I am loving this!!

Here they are on the entry table, used as a backdrop for the french basket, and pears.  I love the simplicity of this.


 

I have all kinds of ideas for using these, so stay tuned.  They are going to look great worked into Fall and Christmas decor.

Sharing here:

Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
What's It Wednesday @ 
Ivy and Elephants
Blissful Whites Wednesday @ www. timewashed.com
Centerpiece Wednesday @ The Style Sisters

Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage

A Return to Lovliness @ A Delightsome Life

Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home
The Blog Strut @ My Personal Accent  



Popular Posts