Monday, December 9, 2013

Quick Christmas Crafts & Makeovers

I've seen several pillows made by other bloggers, that are patterened after one from the Pottery Barn.  They are prettier than mine, but I quickly did this yesterday afternoon.

Probably more than a year ago, I used this scrap piece of burlap to make a rustic pillow.  I sewed it together with jute twine.

Yesterday, I made this pillow reversible. I just flipped it over and made it a Christmas pillow.  All I did was use stencils I had on hand, and painted the word 'jingle' on the pillow with some of my acrylic paints.


Next I stenciled the stars on with green acrylic paint, outlining them with red glitter glue.



Next, I used hot glue to glue the scrap of ric rac onto the burlap, outlining the word 'jingle'.

 I added the jingle bells in the center of the stars.


This is a very easy and quick project, and I have my own version of a Jingle pillow. 

I've had this huge pine cone for two or three years.  I bought it at one of the first consignment shops I ever went to.


I recently painted it white and used white glitter glue to tip the edges of the cone.  I was looking at it one day, and it hit me that it would make a cute "tree"/topiary.  I placed it in this old cracked pot I had.  The pot had a picture of parsley on it, so I covered that with a Christmas tree sticker I found in my crafting supplies, tied a piece of ribbon around it and now it looks totally different.


Another quick makeover was to update this old Santa.

This Santa was a gift to me many years ago.  I haven't used it much because I didn't like the colors.  The pants, hat, and gift Santa carries were all painted purple, and the beard and white trim looked very dirty.  

I used acrylic paints from my stash to change him up.


Sorry there is no before picture, but I was in the basement in my craft area, and did not have my camera.



He looks much better with his hat and the gift painted red.  I brushed on some green for his pants since his jacket is green.  

So much better, now!

This tree was made by gluing craft sticks onto a styrofoam cone.  

I didn't have enough green sticks so I just brushed acrylic paint all over it, added some glitter glue, and glued on some snowflake confetti I had.



This Santa is old, and weighs a ton!  The front of his robe had gotten chipped up over the years.  I mixed some blue and white acrylic paint, and touched up the chips (they were white), and you can't tell where they were.

 If I remember correctly, this sleigh was a gift from a good friend.  She filled it with fire kindling, wrapped in a bow back when we used wood heat in our old home.  So I would say I've had this for 13 or 14 years.  I love using it, so I added a floral arrangement to it for this year.  I just glued a piece of styrofoam on the bottom of the sleigh, and started pushing in floral picks that have been in my stash forever.  

A scrap of geo mesh surrounds the styrofoam. 

A little Santa is hidden among the berries, and he remembered to bring a tree.



By using scraps from my stash, I was able to create a "new" Christmas arrangement.

This snowman ornament was a grocery store find from last year.  He is standing in a silver creamer.

I also want to show you a very old Christmas card sent to my Mother from my brother in 1959.


The card below was sent probably in 1963.
Don't you love vintage ephemera?

Please visit the following parties with me:
Amaze Me Mondays at Dwellings
Make it Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
Made by you Monday at Skip To My Lou
Tweak It Tuesday @ www.cozylittlehouse.com
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life 
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Tuesdays at Our Home at Our Home Away From Home