Here is how I made shelves for the left side of the cabinet:
(and stash it in the guest room) lol!! Kinda like this!! :) Then keep the door to the guest room SHUT!
2. Measure the height, width, and depth of the inside. (since the right side of the cabinet had 3 shelves already built in, I will put 3 shelves in the left side as well).
3. Measure two or three or ten times to be sure you have the correct measurements.
4. I needed 3 shelves 12" wide, and 43" long. I went to Lowes, and bought one 1x12x12, and had them cut it into 3 shelves 43" long. There was about a 14" piece left over that I will use for another project.
5. I needed 4 adjustable shelf standards to screw inside the cabinet to hold the shelves. (they look like this)
They are around $4.00 each
6. The store did not have 36" pilasters which I needed, but they had them 72" long. So I figured that I could buy 2 of those, and cut them in half to get my four standards.
7. I also bought a package of 12 clips to hold the shelves, and 1" wood screws. These fit into the slots on the standards, and you lay the shelf on them.
8. First I cut the standards (with a hack saw) into 4-36 inch pieces.
9. Next I sanded the boards where they had been cut, and stained them with some Golden Oak Minwax stain that I had from another project. The cabinet is old, so over the years the stain has faded, the wood has dried and the colors are no longer uniform. That is fine with me. I don't have to be so particular about the stain for the new shelves, since the color varies.
10. While they were drying, my husband and I measured, installed, and leveled the standards, to the inside of the cabinet walls.
Look closely on the left and right walls and you can see the standards used to hold the shelves. They just look like brass strips.
Here is the final product.
Altogether, this project took about 2 hours, and cost around $36. (We're not experts, and we had a few do-overs with the leveling, and getting the screws to go in straight).
Shabbylicious Friday http://shabbyartboutique.blogspot.com/
Flaunt It Fridayhttp://chiconashoestringdecorating.blogspot.com/
Strut Your Stuff Saturday @ Six Sisters Stuff
Show and Tell Saturday @ Be Different, Act Normal
Sunday Show Off Linky Party @ Twigg Studios
Overflowing with Creativity @ It's Overflowing