Monday, March 10, 2014

Using Upcycled Pieces to Decorate Your Home

Today I am sharing some items that I have upcycled so they can be used in my home decor.  This little wooden piece was part of a pedicure gift set given to me by my daughter.  It was just plain unfinished wood.  Too cute to throw away, but how could I update it??  With homemade chalk paint, and stickers I already had.

First I dry brushed it in white paint, then I just added these nice stickers.

These nice stickers were purchased at Dollar Tree a long time ago, and I have used them in a lot of my small projects.

 (no cost, already had items used)
Another project where I used these stickers was in decorating some bottles. One is attached to the bottle front.


The wooden box now sits on my desk, where it holds sticky note pads, and an extra pair of reading glasses.  I had everything I used in this upcycle, so I have a free desk accessory.

Another recently acquired preloved item that I have "upcycled" is this grain sack.

Here it is being used to cover an ottoman.  No sewing or upholstering here, just tied it on with a piece of jute twine.  Can't get much easier, and I'm really liking it.


(bought sack for around $7.00)
You've seen the item below already, but I made this leftover piece of wood into a sign for my entry way by painting it, adding a burlap ribbon rosette, and stenciling a fleur de lis and our address # on it.


(no cost, leftover wood from shelf project)
A favorite upcycle of mine, is this old canning rack filled with painted sauce jars, and filled with flowers for a Spring centerpiece in the sun room.
(no cost)

Do you upcycle items that would otherwise be thrown away? With these pieces, I stuck with a white and aqua color scheme, and am able to used them together or separately.  When you are about to throw something away, try to think of ways to use it to decorate your home.  It's enjoyable to see what you can come up with, and a great way to decorate on a dime......or less!  :)

Sharing here:

Make it Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
One More Time @ One More Time Events
Tweak It Tuesday @ www.cozylittlehouse.com
Inspire Me Tuesday @ A Stroll Thru Life 
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm