Friday, September 4, 2015

Decorating With Books

I've been finding some great books, not necessarily for reading, but for use in my decorating.  Using books is a great way to add interest to vignettes, shelves, mantles, on tables, anywhere you need a spot of color.  They are great for stacking, and emphasising an item placed on top. Here this book not only provides fall color for the hall tree, but also lifts the pumpkin off the table.


Here's some of the ways to use books in your decor.
Use them on your mantel.  Here I have layered them in with other items.

I found the taller green book ("Victory"), at Good Will. It's vintage, copyright 1915, 2nd printing, 1921.  It's in excellent condition.  The RD Condensed book was a consignment find.




This book is by Eugenia Price, and is one of her Georgia Trilogy books.

It has a beautiful binding, and the turquoise design on the front.



I paired it with another GW find, with a turquoise cover. By color coordinating the books, I have added interest to this end of the mantel.

I bought this book strictly for it's cover!!  It's so unusual.

The spine has a bamboo look that is raised.  Very unique!  I'm using this colorful book to add a pop of color to the bookcase.


More RD Condensed books, an old encyclopedia year book, and another vintage book, the red one, standing. I love finding Reader's Digest Condensed books because of their decorative, colorful covers.







Our homes wouldn't be complete without a collection of Home Decor books, I have many of those, but have a few stacked on the bookcase.

Some people alter their books, some paint them, or cover them in pretty paper, or turn them so that the edges of the pages show, rather than the covers. All kinds of crafts are done using book pages.  It's really hard for me to destroy a book, and  I prefer to remove the dust jackets, and let the colors show.

To give the mantel a fall look, I simply changed out the books for these that have covers in fall colors.



I have plenty to read, but in the meantime, I'll enjoy looking at their colorful covers.  Do you use books in your decor?

Sharing here:

 Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Shabbylicious Friday @ Shabby Art Boutique

Adsense Ad