French Night Stand Makeover

If you read my last post, you know we have been downsizing at the lake home. If you haven't read that post, you can see it here.

I found some Waverly Chalk Paint at Wal Mart, and gave the very old french provincial night stand a makeover.  I have wanted to do this for a long time, but was afraid that the finish on the furniture wouldn't be easy to paint.  Thankfully, I saw on someone's blog that it could be done very easily using chalk paint.  It was very simple, no sanding or priming, just painting. The colors I chose are, White and Moss.

Here is a before picture of the night stand.

before

You can see that it really showed its age. The front was especially yellowed.

First, I simply painted the whole piece with the White Chalk Paint, brushing on the paint on the front, and rolling it on the top and sides.  I also painted the drawer handles white.

The Moss paint was a little darker than I wanted, so I mixed white with it until I had the color I wanted, and painted the drawer fronts with that.

Before the green paint was completely dry, I used a Q-tip to remove some of the paint from the indentations on the front of the drawer.  I sanded the handles off they were dry, just enough to get a gold color to show through.  After it dried, I applied Waverly Clear Wax.

Here it is after the makeover.

I love how it turned out.

after




While I was painting, my husband suggested that I paint the frame on this print of The Lord's Prayer that his Mother had.




I kept the mirror to the bedroom suite as well, and painted and distressed it.  I don't have a before picture of it, but it was worst of all the pieces having turned almost to a brown.  I distressed it lightly, and am not worried that it isn't painted perfectly.  It has a shabbiness now that I like.  It hangs by a wire, so I laid a rose vine over the wire.


So....our freshening up of the lake home continues, and we are loving the light, airy feeling it has now.

We have a plumber coming Thursday, so we are planning a thrifting trip Friday to Dothan, Alabama.  We're on the hunt for a pretty table for this bedroom.  It has a huge OLD tv that we need the table for. I'm hoping I can find one at a good price that can be spruced up.  Hoping for some curvy legs, or a round top, not a tv stand. I want a pretty piece, and some storage would be a plus.  So, if we find something nice, I'll be sure to share it with you.

I'll be sharing here:

Craft Frenzy Friday

Snippets of Christmas

I've been rather lazy when it comes to my blog recently.  But I found a new tree that I loved at Lowe's on sale, (I bought the last ...